Jonny's Senior Project!

As most of you know I am about done with this silly school nonsense and I am working on a senior project. I would like to build an electric motorcycle and to do so I need some help. I am in serious need of some sponsors. If you are interested, just leave a comment or get a hold of me. All donations big or small are greatly appreciated and are 100% tax deductible!

Insperation



Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Volt Blochers

I finally got my kit for the cell balancing circuits to add to each battery and I think they are going to work out just dandy. I got them from www.voltblocher.com it is a great place to go and they are fairly inexpensive and easy to put together. In all it took me about 5 hours to solder them all together, if you don't feel like soldering you can purchase them assembled as well.
They simply just attach between the posts of each battery and make it so that the batteries do not get over charged while waiting for the rest of the batteries in the pack to come to a full charge.
I have ended up having to make some major changes to the design of the project. I am not going to mount the motor on the swing arm anymore to do so would require removing to much of the inside of the swing arm to provide for adequate clearance for the chain. I am going to mount the motor underneath now which I think will be better overall being that the balance of the bike will not be thrown off anymore without the 35 lb motor hanging off the side. Moving the battery to underneath has caused me to have to rethink and rearrange the placement of the batteries. I think that I have come up with a way that I will still be able to fit all 6. At least this time I had the actual batteries to size things up with rather then having to fight with just the cardboard mock ups of the battery size. I am going to have a little less ground clearance but it still shouldn't be any less then the original ground clearance with the fairings on the bike.

1 comment:

ZoomSmith said...

The VoltBlocher seems like a great option for battery protection, what charger are you planning on using with them?

The cardboard batteries are a lot easier to work with when fabricating and designing, so don't throw them away.