Jonny's Senior Project!

As most of you know I am about done with this silly school nonsense and I am working on a senior project. I would like to build an electric motorcycle and to do so I need some help. I am in serious need of some sponsors. If you are interested, just leave a comment or get a hold of me. All donations big or small are greatly appreciated and are 100% tax deductible!

Insperation



Monday, June 15, 2009

It's finally here!

This is not what I was planning on writing about but it is the best part so I will get it out of the way first. My motor arrived the other day and I couldn't be happier(well almost is has presented some interesting predicaments because of the size) I got it at a great price I saved about $100 cause I went in on a group buy with a few other people so they gave us a deal since we bought 5 of them.

It is an Etek-RT motor it should work out pretty well but it is a bit longer than the one used in the design plans that I am using for reference. It is longer because it has more torque and power I went that path because I want to go fast!

I got the rest of the mounts off it took a while but its done it may need a little touch up still to make it pretty but right now it looks pretty good I think this will do in order to keep moving forward.

Everything is nice and flush to the frame now which should give me that extra space that I need for batteries.

As you can see my mock up battery fits up much snugger now that the mounts are gone. I am still debating on whether to cut off the bottom of the gas tank to fit more batteries the next thing I am going to work on is getting a mount for the motor I would like to mount it on the swing arm so hopefully that works out I would hate to loose out on the battery space if I had to mount it underneath.
The next step I think is to design the motor mount and try to get that mounted. Hopefully I can mount the motor on the swing arm so I do not have to take away from the battery space underneath. I might run into the problem of the motor sticking out too far since it is a few inches longer and it also ways 40 lbs so it might throw the bike off balance.

No comments: